Make Ahead Golden Knots Recipe
Prepare and partially bake these rolls on a day when you have plenty of time. Then freeze them for busy days ahead!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 7-1/2 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 2 teaspoons sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, oil, salt, remaining sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide into four portions. Cover three pieces with plastic wrap. Shape one portion into 12 balls. To form knots, roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie into a knot. Tuck and pinch ends under. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 4. Place rolls on greased baking sheets; brush with butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20-30 minutes.
- 5. To serve immediately, bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes. To freeze for later use, partially bake at 300° for 15 minutes. Cool and freeze.
- 6. To use frozen rolls: Reheat frozen rolls at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until browned. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 95 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC