Make-Ahead Coffee Cake Recipe
"This is a wonderful time-saver because it's assembled the night before," explains Cindy Harris of San Antonio, Texas. "My kids think that the nutty topping, sweet glaze and from scratch cake make it the ultimate treat."
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon; sprinkle over coffee cake. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 353 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 278 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC