- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon; sprinkle over coffee cake. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over warm coffee cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Coffee Cake
"Loved being able to put this together the night before. It was delicious and the nutmeg made it taste like Christmas. It was a big hit on Christmas morning. Everyone loved it!"
"Very moist and good coffee cake. Have made it when we have company and everyone thought it was yummy!"
"Nice thought to be able to put the ingredients into a pan overnight, then bake in the morning, but I thought this turned out rather dry. It also didn't rise as I thought it would either. Will go back to my old recipe."
"Wonderfully moist coffee cake. It is so easy to throw the ingredients together and bake the next morning. Most coffee cakes I have seen bake close to an hour. This cuts down on the time with most prep work done the day before, only baking and putting a drizzle on it before heading out the door. Everyone I have served it to loves it."