Make-Ahead Butterhorns Recipe
Mom loved to make these lightly sweet, golden rolls. They're beautiful and impressive to serve and have a wonderful, homemade taste that makes them so memorable. —Bernice Morris, Marshfield, Missouri
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 9 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, shortening, sugar, eggs, salt and 4 cups flour; beat 3 minutes or until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead lightly. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into four equal parts. Roll each into a 9-in. circle; brush with butter. Cut each circle into eight pie-shaped wedges; roll up each wedge from wide edge to tip of dough and pinch to seal.
- 4. Place rolls with tip down on baking sheets; freeze. When frozen, place in freezer bags and seal. Store in freezer for up to 4 weeks.
- 5. Place on greased baking sheets; thaw 5 hours or until doubled in size. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets; serve warm, or cool on wire rack. Yield: 32 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 241 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC