"We have two children who keep us busy, so I love meals I can just pull out of the freezer," writes Jennifer Shafer from Durham, North Carolina. The burritos are wrapped individually so it's easy to take out only the number you need. "I serve them with canned refried beans and Spanish rice from a boxed mix," she adds.
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or beef
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 envelope burrito seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 16 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 16 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 5-inch x 1/2-in. strips
- In a large skillet, combine the meat, salsa, beans, chilies, seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup off-center on each tortilla; top with a cheese strip. Fold edge of tortilla nearest filling over to cover. Fold ends of tortilla over filling and roll up. Wrap individually in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- To use frozen burritos: Place foil packets on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until heated through. If thawed, bake for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 16 burritos.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Burritos in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p48
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Burritos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review