Make-Ahead Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add barley; cover and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until barley is tender.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through. Transfer to three 1-qt. freezer containers; cool. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 3. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator. Place in a saucepan and heat through. Yield: 3 batches (4 servings each).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 198 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 548 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.