- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add barley; cover and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; heat through. Transfer to three 1-qt. freezer containers; cool. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator. Place in a saucepan and heat through. Yield: 3 batches (4 servings each).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Make-Ahead Beef Barley Soup
Sort By :
What size is medium? I have never been able to figure that out. Weight would be good but if you can't use or read a scale then use a tape measure and give the diameter and height.
Quick and easy soup and also inexpensive.
Next time will use a little less chop meat. Would also work with other veggies as well as I added some leftover corn and was very good.
Thanks for a delicious recipe!
It isn't often that my husband goes nuts over soup, but with this one he asked for seconds AND asked if we could have it again the next night. I added a little pepper and topped it with french fried onions. Definitely a delicious, hearty soup and great for cooler weather! I am glad it is a big recipe because that gave me plenty left to freeze for later.
I love this soup its so easy to make and is loaded with so much flavor. All the farmers love it when I bring it to them on chilly days.
Ooooh, wonderful. I halved the ingredients, omitted the celery, replacing with celery seed, and crockpot cooked it. Barley was soft in about 4 hours. Could use a little more basil to spark the flavor.
More Recipe Collections
- Barley Soup >
- Beef Barley Soup >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >