Maine Potato Candy Recipe
"Years ago, folks in Maine ate potatoes daily and used leftovers in bread, doughnuts and candy," says Barbara Allen, Chelmsford, Massachusetts.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:36 servings
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup cold mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound dark chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Line a 9-in. square pan with foil; butter the foil. Spread coconut mixture into pan. Cover and chill overnight. Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. rectangles. Cover and freeze.
- 2. In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip bars in coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper to set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 pounds.
1 serving (1 each) equals 172 calories, 7 g fat (6 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 61 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC