"Years ago, folks in Maine ate potatoes daily and used leftovers in bread, doughnuts and candy," says Barbara Allen, Chelmsford, Massachusetts.
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup cold mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound dark chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Line a 9-in. square pan with foil; butter the foil. Spread coconut mixture into pan. Cover and chill overnight. Cut into 2-in. x 1-in. rectangles. Cover and freeze.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip bars in coating; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper to set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 pounds.
Originally published as Maine Potato Candy in Taste of Home April/May 2000, p65
Reviews for Maine Potato Candy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review