Maine Mud Cookies Recipe
“Every year as winter makes way for spring, we here in Maine experience a fifth season we call ‘mud season.’ I made this special treat to get through that period,” Kathleen Winslow relates from Swanville, Maine. “These cookies bring a smile to every face.” —Kathleen L. Winslow, Swanville, Maine
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, sugars, baking soda and salt. Stir in buttermilk and applesauce (dough will be thick and moist).
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Spread with a fork to make irregular shapes.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie equals 56 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 44 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Reviews for Maine Mud Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC