“Every year as winter makes way for spring, we here in Maine experience a fifth season we call ‘mud season.’ I made this special treat to get through that period,” Kathleen Winslow relates from Swanville, Maine. “These cookies bring a smile to every face.” —Kathleen L. Winslow, Swanville, Maine
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, sugars, baking soda and salt. Stir in buttermilk and applesauce (dough will be thick and moist).
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Spread with a fork to make irregular shapes.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Maine Mud Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p12
Reviews for Maine Mud Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review