Maine Blueberry Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in blueberries.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 288 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 439 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.