Mahogany-Glazed Cornish Hen Recipe
I make this for my husband and myself for Thanksgiving dinner. It's an elegant tradition custom-fit for two. —Jeannette Sabo, Lexington Park, Maryland
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Place hen in a greased shallow roasting pan, skin side up. Combine butter, ginger and orange peel; rub under skin.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk preserves, vinegar, soy sauce and mustard. Reserve half of the mixture for basting. Spoon remaining mixture over hen; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup chicken broth into pan.
- 3. Roast 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, adding broth to pan as necessary and basting with remaining glaze halfway through cooking. Serve with pan juices. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 Cornish game hen equals 468 calories, 30 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 192 mg cholesterol, 1,438 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC