- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract until well blended. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and allspice; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in carrots, pineapple, walnuts and currants.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup and baking soda in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour glaze over hot cakes; cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Magnificent Carrot Cake
"This was good, but I did halve the rum extract in the cake and used only 1 teaspoon in the frosting. I also added vanilla. Rum extract is pretty potent, so any more would have over powered."
"My sister makes this cake and its DIVINE! So moist - even after freezing. LOVE LOVE LOVE"
"I made this cake for the first time last Easter. It was a huge hit. Very rich, very high calorie, but soooo worth it for a special occasion."
"Truly a magnificent carrot cake! I made this for a Halloween party and also brought some to work. Everyone that tried it raved about how delicious it was. I did not include currants or nuts as i didn't have them on hand and didn't feel like the cake really NEEDED it. Instead of rum extract, I used a half a shot of Captain Morgan spiced rum as I didn't have any rum extract. So that was also not included in the frosting. I decided to do without the glaze as well. Everything else was followed accordingly. I would definitely make this again! also, in addition to great flavor, it also came out super moist."
"The second time I made this,I didn't use any allspice or dried currants.I also used vanilla extract instead of rum extract.To cut down on calories I didn't use the glaze."