Magnificent Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract until well blended. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and allspice; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in carrots, pineapple, walnuts and currants.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup and baking soda in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour glaze over hot cakes; cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Magnificent Carrot Cake
Sort By :
"My sister makes this cake and its DIVINE! So moist - even after freezing. LOVE LOVE LOVE"
"I made this cake for the first time last Easter. It was a huge hit. Very rich, very high calorie, but soooo worth it for a special occasion."
"Truly a magnificent carrot cake! I made this for a Halloween party and also brought some to work. Everyone that tried it raved about how delicious it was. I did not include currants or nuts as i didn't have them on hand and didn't feel like the cake really NEEDED it. Instead of rum extract, I used a half a shot of Captain Morgan spiced rum as I didn't have any rum extract. So that was also not included in the frosting. I decided to do without the glaze as well. Everything else was followed accordingly. I would definitely make this again! also, in addition to great flavor, it also came out super moist."
"I made this for Easter. It was amazing! It is the best carrot cake I have ever had! Everyone loved it! It will definitely be my go-to recipe for carrot cake from now on."
"The second time I made this,I didn't use any allspice or dried currants.I also used vanilla extract instead of rum extract.To cut down on calories I didn't use the glaze."