Mad About "Meat" Loaf Recipe
Meat loaf will be wearing new accessories this year - spinach, carrots, zucchini and whole grains. Grind the nuts in a food processor but be sure to add a little flour so you don't end up with nut butter. —Susan Preston, Eagle Creek, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup mashed cooked carrots
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons ground walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add spinach; cover and boil for 3-4 minutes or until wilted. Drain and squeeze dry.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, carrots, bread, eggs, zucchini, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, onion, flaxseed, walnuts, oil, garlic, seasonings and spinach. Pat into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan; top with remaining tomato sauce.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 4-7 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice equals 198 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 451 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC