Macaroon-Topped Rhubarb Cobbler Recipe
Crumbled macaroons are a unique addition to this cobbler's topping. Serve hearty helpings alone or with vanilla ice cream.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 large apple, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 macaroons, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the rhubarb, apple, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-13 minutes or until rhubarb is very tender. Combine cornstarch and water smooth; gradually add to the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the crumbled cookies, butter, sugar and remaining cinnamon. Sprinkle over fruit mixture.
- 3. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 368 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC