Macaroni Vegetable Soup
In Hebron, Indiana, Edna Hoffman created this colorful veggie soup with a hint of cayenne. A nice change of pace from heavy cream soups, this hearty yet healthy combination can be served as a side dish or light meal.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato or vegetable juice
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- In a large saucepan, saute the zucchini, onion and carrot in butter
- until tender. Add broth and tomato juice. Bring to a boil; stir in
- macaroni and cayenne. Cook for 10 minutes or until macaroni is
- tender. Stir in beans and corn; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-sodium chicken broth) equals 96 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.