Macaroni Bean Soup Recipe
“This chunky soup makes a great meatless main dish,” comments Sundra Haucks of Bogalusa, Louisiana. “Best of all, it’s ready…set…serve in just 25 minutes.” TIP: “We like a lot of macaroni, so I often use more.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth, tomato juice, macaroni, carrots and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- 2. Stir in the squash, beans, seasoned salt and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and lemon juice. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 115 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 906 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC