Macaroni Au Gratin Recipe
- 1 package (7 ounces) macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until well blended. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; reduce heat. Add cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and mustard; stir until cheese melts.
- Pour over macaroni and mix well. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Macaroni Au Gratin(5)
Sort By :
I have learned 2 ways of making this dish. When I want a cheese sauce, this is what I make. I have modified it with extra sharp cheddar cheese and at times used evaporatd milk instead of regular milk (more economical). This is excellent.
was really good, used 1/2 white sharp cheddar and 1/2 velveeta, did use more mac the second time than it called for, still good!
This was really good and typically I'm not a big fan of macaroni and cheese. I used sharp cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta as that is what I had on hand. I didn't have any onion so I put a tsp of onion powder in the milk mixture and added dried minced onions to the top. Our family of four ate it right up. (I don't think this recipe would serve 6).
Great recipe. I used fresh grated extra sharp cheddar instead of Velveeta. Also put extra cheese on top along with panko bread crumbs for crunch. Have made several times already. Very good.
Fantastic, will make again and again! Even my husband, who is a professional cook loved it and believe me that's a compliment. Thank you for an easy, enjoyable recipe with ingredients you always have on hand. The only change I would make is adding shredded chedder on top!!!!