- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the macaroni, half of the cheese and half of the onion. Repeat layers. Top with remaining macaroni.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, mustard, pepper, evaporated milk and milk; pour over layers. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Macaroni and Cheese
"Word to the wise .. do not try to use Kraft singles in place of Velveeta slices. :) I also attempted to make it in the slow cooker, which I forgot about... Ended up mushy but that could simply have been user error. Not sure if I'd try this again since I have a few other successful versions of Mac&Cheese, but glad to have cooked and learned."
"Do not make this recipe. I doubted it from the beginning. Very vague instructions and complicated preparation. The end effect is tasteless with the amount of milk and onion compared to the amount of cheese."
"I made this but instead of butter and crumbs on top ,I put buttered slices of bread on the top.Also I made a cheese sauce and poured it over the macroni. Then cooked it. Our family loves it.Telly.Easier and just as good."
"Was bland and tasteless. I was very disappointed and I followed the directions exactly."
"I don't usually like homemade mac and cheese but am still eating the left overs! My boyfriend, whose mom makes everything homemade says this was better than any of her versions of homemade mac and cheese! thanks for sharing!"