- 3 quarts water
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a stockpot, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add celery, carrots, onion and green pepper; cook for 4 minutes or until tender. Add macaroni. Cover and return to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 8-10 minutes or just until macaroni is tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted; add to undrained macaroni mixture. Yield: 20 servings (5 quarts).
Reviews for Macaroni and Cheese Soup
"How can it be "one of a kind" yet the author has made it at "many different jobs?" - at any rate, it's bland and my family hated it."
"I have made this soup approx. 15 times and have shared with friends and work. I have never received a complaint, only people begging for this recipe. You can not go wrong and the kids love it!"
"I think this is a great family soup and a wonderful way to sneak some vegetables in for your kids. The shredded carrots in the soup actually look like shredded cheese (my sister thought it was the whole time she was eating it). This was really easy to make and I'll for sure make it again! I halved the recipe and it was plenty for 3 adults and a toddler, plus we had leftovers."
"needs more veggies and pasta, perhaps some ham and seasoning."
"Great Flavor! The only thing I would do is double the filling. My Husband and I felt it needed more of the feeling. I added more and it was even better."