- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge of pan. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese and butter. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir until cheese is almost melted. Stir in bread crumbs. In a bowl, combine the macaroni, egg yolks, pimientos, parsley, onion and salt. Stir in cheese mixture; mix well. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into macaroni mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Macaroni and Cheese Casserole in Country Extra March 2000, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 23, 2009
"Not my total fav. just ok. it wasn't like the real deal, but then agian, that's just me. others may love it."