I like to create recipes, and this is one my husband really enjoys. It's an excellent dish for company, especially for families with small children. After all, what kid doesn't like macaroni and cheese?
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge of pan. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese and butter. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir until cheese is almost melted. Stir in bread crumbs. In a bowl, combine the macaroni, egg yolks, pimientos, parsley, onion and salt. Stir in cheese mixture; mix well. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into macaroni mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Macaroni and Cheese Casserole in Country Extra March 2000, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review