- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the macaroni, half of the cheese and half of the onion. Repeat layers. Top with remaining macaroni.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, mustard, pepper, evaporated milk and milk; pour over layers. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
"I made this but instead of butter and crumbs on top ,I put buttered slices of bread on the top.Also I made a cheese sauce and poured it over the macroni. Then cooked it. Our family loves it.Telly.Easier and just as good."
"Was bland and tasteless. I was very disappointed and I followed the directions exactly."
"I don't usually like homemade mac and cheese but am still eating the left overs! My boyfriend, whose mom makes everything homemade says this was better than any of her versions of homemade mac and cheese! thanks for sharing!"
"A great low fat mac and cheese recipe. My wife and I loved it and I will make it again. Even the leftovers reheated were great."
"Nice lower fat mac & cheese. I used whole wheat pasta to make it even better. I would recommend letting it sit for several mintues before serving, It got better."