When my husband had heart problems, I searched for recipes that replaced our full-fat standbys. Over the years, I've updated this recipe to accommodate new lower-in-fat products, and my family continues to enjoy it. —Cora Johnson Schloetzer, Topeka, Kansas
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the macaroni, half of the cheese and half of the onion. Repeat layers. Top with remaining macaroni.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, mustard, pepper, evaporated milk and milk; pour over layers. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Macaroni and Cheese in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Macaroni and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review