A few years ago, I decided to liven up my basic chocolate chip cookie recipe by adding macadamia nuts, white chocolate chips and almond paste. Since the scrumptious results got such rave reviews from my 26 grandchildren, we've designated this version a "keeper".
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond paste
- 3 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 package (11 ounces) vanilla or white chips
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond paste. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and chips.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Macadamia Almond Delights in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p30