Macadamia Almond Brittle
This is a nuttier version of a basic brittle recipe. I added macadamia nuts - my favorites - and the brittle turned out tastier than ever. I love making this crisp snack because the results are impressive...and the job goes fast using the microwave.
-Cheryl Miller, Fort Collins, Colorado
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a 1-1/2-quart microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and corn syrup.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir in nuts. Microwave on high for
- 2-3 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack
- stage). Quickly stir in butter, vanilla and baking soda until
- mixture is light and foamy.
- When bubbles subside, pour onto a greased baking sheet, spreading as
- thinly as possible with a metal spatula. Cool completely; break into
- pieces. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between the
- layers. Yield: about 1 pound.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 220 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.