Macadamia & Coconut Caramels Recipe
I collect cookbooks from all over the world and use them to create new dishes. These smooth caramels have a scrumptious macadamia-coconut flavor. —Sharon Delaney-Chronis, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line an 8-in. square baking dish with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar and remaining butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared dish. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.
- 4. Using foil, lift candy out of dish. Gently peel off foil; cut caramel into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds.
1 piece equals 56 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
Reviews for Macadamia & Coconut Caramels
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC