Macadamia & Coconut Caramels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line an 8-in. square baking dish with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar and remaining butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into prepared dish. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.
- 4. Using foil, lift candy out of dish. Gently peel off foil; cut caramel into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds.
1 piece: 56 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Macadamia & Coconut Caramels
"LOVED these and so does everyone else!!"
"Very excellent! I have made caramels using a recipe that has been passed down and was very concerned about using this one that used sweetened condensed milk. But was I surprised at the taste of these. WOW! I have since made 4 more batches and have given them away as gifts - with everyone loving them."
"easy to make and awesome :)"
"These are the best caramels!! Firm enough to cut, yet soft enough for the caramel to stretch as you bite into them. I've received so many compliments already."