Mac 'n' Cheese for a Bunch
You'll satisfy many taste buds with this rich and comforting dish from Dixie Terry from Goreville, Illinois. Tender macaroni is covered in a creamy, homemade cheese sauce, and then topped with golden bread crumbs. A true crowd pleaser!
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 packages (two 16 ounces, one 7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1-1/4 cups butter, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 quarts milk
- 3 pounds sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, melt 1 cup butter. Stir in flour
- and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese,
- stirring until melted. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce.
- Transfer to three greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Melt
- remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casseroles.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Yield: 36 servings (1 cup each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 395 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 510 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as