Mac 'n' Cheese for a Bunch Recipe
You'll satisfy many taste buds with this rich and comforting dish from Dixie Terry from Goreville, Illinois. Tender macaroni is covered in a creamy, homemade cheese sauce, and then topped with golden bread crumbs. A true crowd pleaser!
- 3 packages (two 16 ounces, one 7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1-1/4 cups butter, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 quarts milk
- 3 pounds sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions until almost tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large stock pot, melt 1 cup butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese, stirring until melted. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce.
- 3. Transfer to three greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casseroles.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 36 servings (1 cup each).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 395 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 510 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Reviews for Mac 'n' Cheese for a Bunch
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC