Luscious Lime Angel Squares
A creamy lime topping turns angel food cake into these yummy squares that are perfect for potlucks or picnics. "You can eat a piece of this light and airy dessert without feeling one bit guilty," notes Beverly Marshall of Orting, Washington. "I adapted this luscious treat from another recipe. It is super-easy to make."
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free lime gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 inches), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Refrigerate until
- mixture just begins to thicken, about 35 minutes. Place cake cubes
- in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the sugar,
- lemon juice and peel. Add gelatin mixture; beat until combined. Fold
- in 1-1/2 cups whipped topping.
- Spread over top of cake, covering completely. Refrigerate for at
- least 2 hours or until firm. Cut into squares; top with remaining
- whipped topping. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One piece equals 139 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 145 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber,