My mother always made this around the holidays for our family. Now I have four married daughters and seven grandchildren, and I serve lemon pie all year!
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- In the top of a double boiler, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk, egg yolks and lemon juice. Cook and stir over boiling water until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in butter and lemon peel. Cool, stirring occasionally. When mixture is room temperature, stir in sour cream. Pour into shell and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- For topping, whip cream until thickened; beat in sugar and almond extract if desired. Continue to beat until stiff. Spread or pipe with pastry bag on pie before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Luscious Lemon Pie in Country Extra July 1991, p47
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Luscious Lemon Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review