- Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter,
- lemon peel and food coloring if desired. Gradually stir in lemon
- juice. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually
- add the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and enough
- milk to achieve desired spreading consistency.
- To assemble, cut cake in half lengthwise. Trim outside edges. Place
- one half on a serving platter. Top with the lemon filling. Top with
- remaining cake; spread with frosting. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Jiffy cake mix.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.