This is my mom's variation of an old favorite. It's pleasantly tangy, but not too tart.
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 drop yellow food coloring, optional
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring if desired. Gradually stir in lemon juice. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency.
- To assemble, cut cake in half lengthwise. Trim outside edges. Place one half on a serving platter. Top with the lemon filling. Top with remaining cake; spread with frosting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Luscious Lemon Layer Cake in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p278
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Luscious Lemon Layer Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review