- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 drop yellow food coloring, optional
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring if desired. Gradually stir in lemon juice. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency.
- To assemble, cut cake in half lengthwise. Trim outside edges. Place one half on a serving platter. Top with the lemon filling. Top with remaining cake; spread with frosting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Luscious Lemon Layer Cake in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p278
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Luscious Lemon Layer Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 31, 2009
"I do not understand why a box mix is used when baking from scratch is so much better."
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2007
"Thanks. Lemon is one of my favorite cakes."