Lumberjack Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) pearl onions, peeled
- 3 cups frozen cut green beans
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1. Toss pork with the salt, sugar, pepper and paprika. In a Dutch oven, brown in oil on all sides. Add sliced onion and garlic; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon and bay leaves; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add the carrots and pearl onions; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add beans; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 350 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 935 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Reviews for Lumberjack Stew
"Meh, nothing special. Cooked almost exactly except no sugar. Not real spicy, really nothing special, it'll do though until I cook again on Wednesday. I'll probably add some hot sauce to liven it up for lunch."
"Well this is a tasty concoction! Perfect for the winter.~ Theresa"