Lucky Leprechaun Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups Royal Icing
- Assorted paste food coloring
- Green shimmer dust or edible glitter, optional
- Green shamrock sprinkles, optional
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. For leprechauns, cut out dough with lightly floured 5-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter. If desired, trim leprechaun's body for a thinner shape.
- 3. For each hat, cut a 1-1/2-in. square and a 1-3/4x1/4-in. brim from dough scraps. Place leprechauns 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Place hat squares and brims above heads, shaping gently to touch the heads.
- 4. Bake 10-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute before carefully removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. Tint small amounts of Royal Icing red, yellow and black. Leave a small amount plain. Tint remaining icing green and orange. Frost leprechauns; decorate with shimmer dust and shamrock sprinkles if desired. For eyes, attach miniature chocolate chips with plain frosting. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Editor's Note: This recipe may also be used to make shamrock cookies, using 2-1/2-in. or 4-in. cookie cutters. Or, using 3-in. alphabet cookie cutters, cut out the letters for IRISH or any phrase or name. Reduce baking time to 8-10 minutes for both cookies. (Refer to cover photos and at right for decorating ideas.) Yield for shamrocks or letters is about 6 dozen. Edible glitter is available from Wilton Industries. Call 1-800/794-5866 or visit www.wilton.com.
Reviews for Lucky Leprechaun Cookies
"it tasted amazing i cant wait to make it adain"
"I took them to work and eveyone one jusy love with coffee.Mikki Shell Knob"
"These cookies were amazing for the kids to make the dough was just right it didnt crumble nor it wasnt ever sticky. I will use this cookie recipe for all my holiday cookies or just for fun when i want to make cookies for myself thanks again taste of home ive really enjoyed all the recipes you have sent to me!!!!"