Lucky Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup each dried yellow split peas, lentils, black beans, great northern beans, pinto beans, baby lima beans and kidney beans
- 1/2 cup each dried green split peas, black-eyed peas and navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place the split peas, lentils and beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 3. Stir in tomatoes; increase heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for 15-30 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Fact: 1 cup serving equals 124 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 599 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.