This recipe is from a bean soup gift pack I developed as a fund-raiser for our church. We provide it along with the beans and a packet containing all the spices. The recipient just adds water and a can of tomatoes for a delicious pot of savory soup. -Doris Cox, South Orange, New Jersey
- 1/4 cup each dried yellow split peas, lentils, black beans, great northern beans, pinto beans, baby lima beans and kidney beans
- 1/2 cup each dried green split peas, black-eyed peas and navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place the split peas, lentils and beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes; increase heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for 15-30 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Lucky Bean Soup in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p29
Reviews for Lucky Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review