Lucky Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup each dried yellow split peas, lentils, black beans, great northern beans, pinto beans, baby lima beans and kidney beans
- 1/2 cup each dried green split peas, black-eyed peas and navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place the split peas, lentils and beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes; increase heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for 15-30 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Lucky Bean Soup(4)
Sort By :
I'm not sure what others see in this soup. It's bland and uninteresting in flavor. There is nothing "lucky" about it.
I have been making this soup for several years and LOVE it! I have given it away as a hostess gift in a jar and shared it with nearly 50 moms at a mothers group. The most important part is to NOT add the tomatoes until the beans are completely cooked. If you add them early the beans will not cook fully. Something about the acid in the tomatoes stops the beans from cooking even if you simmer for hours. So, just follow the directions and you should be fine :)
My family loves beans, and this soup is wondeful! All the beans fit in a quart jar, so I measured enough beans for 5 batches into jars, layering them so they look pretty! Now anytime I want to make this soup, I just have to grab a jar of beans instead of measuring them all out each time!
used 1 cup diced onion instead of dried and it was terrific!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Black Eyed Pea Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Lentil Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Navy Bean Soup >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >