Low-Sodium Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (29 ounces each) tomato puree
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine or additional water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms, peppers, onion and garlic in oil until softened.
- 2. In a large Dutch oven, combine the next nine ingredients. Add beef and sauteed vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours.
- 3. Stir in parsley and sugar. Discard bay leaves before serving. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
One serving (1 cup) equals 143 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.