Low-Sodium Herb-Rubbed Turkey Recipe
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, ginger and mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small potato, sliced
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix garlic, herbs and spices until blended. Sprinkle flour into oven bag; shake to coat. Place bag in a roasting pan; add vegetables and sprinkle with 5 teaspoons herb mixture.
- 2. Pat turkey dry. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub half of the remaining herb mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Rub remaining herb mixture over inside of turkey. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Place turkey in bag over vegetables, breast side up; close bag with nylon tie. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close with tie provided. Bake 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°.
- 4. Remove turkey from oven bag to a serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Strain contents of oven bag into a small saucepan, discarding vegetables; skim fat from cooking juices. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually whisk into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 28 servings.
4 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without skin) equals 198 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 4 lean meat.
Reviews for Low-Sodium Herb-Rubbed Turkey
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer