Low-Sodium Herb-Rubbed Turkey Recipe
If you're looking for a new twist on turkey, Ruby Bergschneider's recipe may just be the one. The Jacksonville, Illinois cook prepares a well-blended, salt-free rub that goes under the turkey skin. She removes the skin before eating, resulting in a low-fat entree. This recipe proves that you don't need a lot of salt for good flavor.
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small potato, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, ginger and mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Pat turkey dry. Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place the bag in a roasting pan; add celery, carrots, onion and potato. Combine the garlic, sage, thyme, pepper, allspice, ginger, mustard and cayenne; sprinkle 5 teaspoons over vegetables.
- Carefully loosen skin of turkey. Rub half of the remaining seasoning mixture under the skin; rub remaining mixture inside cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables; close bag with nylon tie. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag. Bake at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°.
- Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Strain contents of oven bag into a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard vegetables. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Herb-Rubbed Turkey in Country Woman November/December 2006, p41
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Low-Sodium Herb-Rubbed Turkey(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baked Turkey >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Dinner Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >