Low-Fat Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add half-and-half; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- 3. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1 quart.
1/2 cup (calculated without granola) equals 182 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.