Low-Fat Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Reduced-fat granola, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add half-and-half; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- 3. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. If desired, serve with granola. Yield: 1 quart.
1/2 cup: 182 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Low-Fat Vanilla Ice Cream
"I'm not normally a fan of vanilla but this is amazing - very creamy and does not taste low fat. With this basic recipe you could also add fruit too!"
"This was fabulous! It was so rich and creamy I couldn't believe it was low fat! I added some chopped peaches the last few minutes of churning and it was spectacular"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.