Low-Fat Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add half-and-half; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream maker two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Low-Fat Vanilla Ice Cream(2)
Sort By :
I'm not normally a fan of vanilla but this is amazing - very creamy and does not taste low fat. With this basic recipe you could also add fruit too!
This was fabulous! It was so rich and creamy I couldn't believe it was low fat! I added some chopped peaches the last few minutes of churning and it was spectacular
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >