Low-Fat Tarragon Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 pound red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the wine or broth, onion, garlic, tarragon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to a boil. Boil and stir for 7-9 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, yogurt, mayonnaise and tarragon mixture. Add chicken and onion; toss to coat. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- 3. In a large nonstick saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add potatoes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans. Cover and simmer 6-9 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- 4. Drain and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper; toss gently to coat. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- 5. Just before serving, spoon the chicken mixture onto the center of a serving plate. Arrange bean mixture around chicken mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 268 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 428 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.