Low-Fat Shrimp Chowder Recipe
- 1 pound red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring the potatoes, broth, celery, onions and red pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 13-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in milk. Gently mash vegetables with a potato masher, leaving some chunks of potatoes.
- Combine flour and evaporated milk until smooth; gradually stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Low-Fat Shrimp Chowder
Sort By :
I made this about a year ago and just remembered it and wanted to make it again. I really loved it! I took some to my daughter's house for her family and my son-in-law, who had taken some to work for lunch, called me after eating it and raved about it. Going to make again very soon.