Low-Fat Refried Beans
Writes field editor Kitty Shelton from her Ketchum, Idaho kitchen, "A local Mexican restaurant shared this recipe with me. It's so simple and tasty you'll never go back to canned refried beans."
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 2 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried pinto or red beans
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a
- boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand
- for 1 hour. Drain beans; discard liquid. Return beans to pan; add
- water to cover. Add onion and garlic; bring to a boil. Cover and
- cook over low heat for 2 hours or until beans are very tender,
- adding water to keep covered if needed. Discard onion and garlic.
- Mash beans with a potato masher, leaving some beans whole. Stir in
- cumin and hot pepper sauce. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 180 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 11 g protein.