Low-Fat Pumpkin Cake Roll Recipe
Pumpkin keeps this cake moist and replaces the oil found in a typical layer cake; so you're getting vitamins, not fat. Serve this one up and your guests will rave—and no one has to know just how easy it was! —Heidi Reinhard, Montpelier, Indiana
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in pumpkin and extract. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger and salt; fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched (do not overbake). Cool for 5 minutes.
- 3. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and remaining confectioners' sugar until fluffy.
- 5. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 182 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 212 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC