Low-Fat Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice
- 1 cup chopped nuts or raisins, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and egg substitute; mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts or raisins if desired. Pour into two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices per loaf).
1 slice: 122 calories, 0.550g fat (0.550g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch
Reviews for Low-Fat Pumpkin Bread
"Very good, and easy to make. I did tweak the recipe a little: added 1 tblsp oil, used 2 1/3 cup white & 1 cup whole wheat flour, added about 1/4 tsp extra cinnamon. Also used 1 cup sugar & 1 cup Splenda because my husband is diabetic. He loved it - I didn't tell him it was low fat & low sugar."
"I made a 1/2 batch for my family of 2. It turned out nice, but was rather dense; don't know if that is due to living at 5400 ft in elevation (but I did leave out some leaven and added extra flour to compensate for the elevation). Also, I used fresh pumpkin puree, walnuts, homemade applesauce, and 1 real egg (for a 1/2 batch). I mixed by hand with a fork too. This recipe is worth the time it takes to make."