Low-Fat Pumpkin Bread
"I modified a recipe to come up with this low-fat yet moist and tasty pumpkin bread," says Rita Horton of Lincoln, Illinois. "I make it for the holidays and to give as hostess gifts."
28 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3-1/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice
- 1 cup chopped nuts or raisins, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and egg substitute;
- mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder,
- salt and nutmeg; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
- Stir in nuts or raisins if desired. Pour into two 8-in. x 4-in.
- loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices per loaf).
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 slice) equals 122 calories, 0.55 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149 mg sodium,