"I modified a recipe to come up with this low-fat yet moist and tasty pumpkin bread," says Rita Horton of Lincoln, Illinois. "I make it for the holidays and to give as hostess gifts."
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice
- 1 cup chopped nuts or raisins, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and egg substitute; mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts or raisins if desired. Pour into two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices per loaf).
Originally published as Low-Fat Pumpkin Bread in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p17
Reviews for Low-Fat Pumpkin Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review